So I finally jumped on the Apple bandwagon and bought an iMac (got a good deal on the previous gen 20″ 2.66GHz model). This is primarily for my wife and kids to use for some World of Warcraft, email, web surfing etc. But let’s see if I can’t squeeze some time in in front of it to do a little experimenting with Xcode for iPhone development 🙂
One of the first things to do is to integrate OS X into my home network which, until now, has consisted of a number of (virtual) servers running Linux (mainly various flavors of Debian) as well as Windows Vista clients.
Here are some of the things I would like to set up:
- iTunes access to my music library stored on the server
- A Mythfrontend for playback of TV and other media from my MythTV back end running on the server
- Authentication against OpenLDAP to keep passwords synchronized between clients
- Access to network storage on the Linux file server
- Time Machine backups to the Linux file server
I’ll try to document the steps here, mostly for my own records. But if they can prove useful for others, that doesn’t hurt either.